Different time billing rates for different staff?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
Hi - I've had a quick search but can't find how to assign different charge rates to different employees? (other than manually entering this for each person once the invoice is compiled). Is this possible? Thanks
Photo of Garth Humphreys

Garth Humphreys

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • concerned

Posted 11 years ago

Photo of Ed Molyneux

Ed Molyneux

• 1198 Posts
  • 149 Reply Likes
Garth,

Sorry, at the moment you need to do this at the invoice level, yes.

We're planning quite a few changes about the way we handle projects in the near future - you'll be able to set billing rates at the task level. Would that be enough, or would a per-employee rate be needed?
Photo of Garth Humphreys

Garth Humphreys

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Ed - thanks for the prompt response.

Unfortunately, our charge rates are geared to our staff hourly pay rates (not uncommon in consulting environments), so each person has a different rate, (though this is banded for people at similar levels).

As a result, task level rate setting won't cut it for us: a senior person and and a junior person might both do that task but at different cost and therefore charge. We're also trying to get away from manually doing things (like the entering rates at invoicing work-around) as much as possible too.

Generally, I think FreeAgent is well designed and has a lot of good features - we'd be close to considering a shift, but this aspect is a make-or-break one for us.

Cheers

Garth
Photo of Ed Molyneux

Ed Molyneux

• 1198 Posts
  • 149 Reply Likes
Garth,

Yes, I see what you're needing.

FreeAgent has been designed very much for the freelancer or the very small band-of-equals type of business.

That's why you won't see much in the way of access controls (yet) either.

We want to be very careful in making sure adding more complexity doesn't make things more difficult for those simpler businesses, but we're pretty confident we can.

I'd be really happy to offer you an extended free trial until such time as we implement what you need. Just drop me a line at ed at freeagentcentral dot com...
Photo of Margaret

Margaret

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm having the same issue--any thoughts when you might have rate based on staff instead of only by project? Thanks.
Photo of Tom Creed

Tom Creed

• 70 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
i could REALLY do with this being implemented...

any sign of this soon?
Photo of Tom Creed

Tom Creed

• 70 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
hi guys. dont want this thread to be forgotten? is it on the todo list?

cheers
Photo of Roan

Roan, Product Director

• 1494 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
Hi Tom,

An overhaul of task/time/projects is definitely on the to-do list, but we've got our hands full with implementing other features right now.

It's not forgotten but I can't say when it will be implemented.
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Checking back in on this. Any chance its done and I just can't figure it out? Hoping to use Free Agent to run a small 5 man team where we have three different rates for different employees. I would really like to have different rates for the guys.
Photo of srifkin

srifkin

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I would like to see this feature as well - my small company bill rates are linked to individuals more than tasks...
Photo of Roan

Roan, Product Director

• 1494 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
We have implemented task rates but we've still to address default user rates.

It's something we want to look at in the future, but it's not on our immediate roadmap I'm afraid.
Photo of Quentin Stafford-Fraser

Quentin Stafford-Fraser

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Just one more vote for user-based rates on the wishlist.
Photo of Linda

Linda

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
We need different charge out rates per person not per project. It just means our admin staff get charged out at a ridiculous rate. And if we employ a freelancer they all have different rates.

Fingers crossed this will get sorted soon!
Photo of Stella Power

Stella Power

• 35 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yes, we also want to have different rates per user. FreeAgent has been great for us so far, but our organisation is growing now and we need more flexibility. We don't want to move to another system but we may have to if this feature can not be implemented.
Photo of Greg Riddle

Greg Riddle

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Apologies for resurrecting a historic thread, but I've looked everywhere for an answer to this.  We'd like to have different billing rates for different staff on a project, different rates for tasks just won't cut it as we'll have several different staff on the same tasks.  Surely this has been sorted by now and I've just missed it ?
Photo of Ruth Broderick

Ruth Broderick, Product Manager

• 319 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Hi Greg,

Thanks for getting in touch. FreeAgent doesn't currently support different billing rates for different staff on the same project, but I can appreciate how this would be valuable to you. I'm afraid that adding staff billing rates isn't on our current roadmap, but I have recorded your additional request for this on our feature request board, so please rest assured this won't get forgotten about. 

Warm regards,
Ruth
Photo of Quentin Stafford-Fraser

Quentin Stafford-Fraser

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It's still something I'd be keen to have, too.  I ended up paying all my staff the same rate simply to make my (and their) life in FreeAgent easier!  Not all organisations would have that flexibility... :-)
Photo of Ruth Broderick

Ruth Broderick, Product Manager

• 319 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Sorry I missed your reply Quentin! Thanks for your additional feedback and I've added your additional vote to this request.

Warm regards,
Ruth