i'd like to add more than one stock item per bill

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Doesn't Need an Answer
Currently, when i purchase stock from a supplier, i'm likely to receive an invoice which charges for all the various items ive ordered (as a computer repairs firm, this would be things like 6 x Hard disk, 3 x DDR RAM etc etc)

In FreeAgent, i see no way of adding that as one bill (which is is, one bill, and one outgoing transaction to my supplier) because on the bill page, i can only add one type of item from my stock per bill (so i could add the 6 hard disks, but i'd need to create a new bill to manage the 3 RAM modules, and another bill for each additional line on the invoice) this seems a little silly to me, and a large waste of my time. I'm hoping i've overlooked something silly, but if not, is there any chance of adding the ability to have more than one item per bill, as most companies order multiple things at once, and often for more than one stock catagory or project (ive noticed i cant split a bill between projects or clients either)

thanks in advance,
Mike
Photo of miketisaac

miketisaac

• 2 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
  • undecided

Posted 9 years ago

Photo of JasmineIT

JasmineIT

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
My first year I was not VAT registered so I did very little stock purchases this year is different and its not unusual to buy multiple stock items on a single bill. Add another +1 to this feature request. My new business partner has found the stock issue "archaic" and doesn't have the experience of using freeagent freeagent for a year successfully.
Photo of craig anderson

craig anderson

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Add another +1 to this feature request.

Can We have a time scale please for this fundamental development?
Photo of get it right i payed you enough

get it right i payed you enough

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
really not impressed what a silly thing not to do this the normal way

1 more vote please

i may have to leave free t now as its really time consuming , the very opposite of what you guys promote , is this false advertising i wonder. i will find out
Photo of Donna Crutcher

Donna Crutcher

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I agree. I Love FA apart from the stock aspect. I too buy lots of items on one invoice and spend hours preparing spreadsheets then carrying out forty plus journals. Total madness!!! desperate times so despite the cost I guess Sage here we come again
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I really love Freeagent and am seriously considering moving my business onto it. The absence of this feature is the only real hurdle.

Bearing in mind how long ago this was raised, I am little surprised that there are still 'no plans' for it. It seems like the biggest Freeagent shortfall and is making me question if I can realistically move to it. There is a good reason it is a feature in most other systems.....i.e. its really important.

There is nothing unusual about my business, but at least half my bills would need to be recorded across multiple projects and/or multiple stock lines.
Photo of Vincenzo Annunziata

Vincenzo Annunziata

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi guys
Has this feature been added.
I have tons of lines of items per invoice and it's slightly impossible for me to do anything without this feature.
Could you please give us an update?
Thanks, Enzo
Photo of Mike Fauconnier-Bank | TANTRUM

Mike Fauconnier-Bank | TANTRUM

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Still not added. I would like to add a plus 1 for this as well. Very frustrating.

It's simply not practical to create multiple bills for one invoice from a reconciliation perspective, as only one outbound payment per invoice will show up on the bank account.
Photo of Craig Mason

Craig Mason

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Indeed... please FA, get this sorted. This is a very basic requirement for Bills and makes adding multiple-category items a royal pain.
Photo of Donna Crutcher

Donna Crutcher

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Sadly I am now in the process of looking into leaving FA as I do not have time to carryout journal after journal when purchasing stock :( It is a shame as apart from this problem I love FA
Photo of Mark Burton

Mark Burton

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'll be moving away from freeagent due to the lack of the ability to analyse supplier bills against multiple project / cost of sale codes. Great shame really.
Photo of Ali

Ali

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I would like to add my vote for an easier way of dealing with bills relating to the purchase of a number of stock items.
Photo of Paul McDermott

Paul McDermott

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Can't believe this issue is still outstanding after 3 years! Seems like fairly basic functionality. How can FreeAgent make such a great product and then stop development before it is complete?
Photo of Suzanne Herbison

Suzanne Herbison, Official Rep

• 894 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Hi Paul

I am delighted to hear you think FreeAgent is such a great product ;-)

Sadly there is just not enough resource to add everything we would like to. I have added your voice to the Feature Request List.

Apologies for any inconvenience this causes you in the meantime.

Regards

Suzanne
Photo of George Grigolava

George Grigolava, Product Manager

• 433 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Hi all who are on this thread.

I just wanted to provide a further workaround for managing stock in FreeAgent, because FreeAgent's stock system is perhaps best suited to service based industries with limited items of stock. I wouldn't recommend anyone who buys and sells inventory in their normal day to day trading activities to use FreeAgent to manage their stock.

This is because stock valuation is a complicated process and FreeAgent is very flexible in terms of amending historical data. Coupling this with trying to value stock on a perpetual basis can lead to problems in FreeAgent.

Instead I would advise that all inventory purchases are explained to a cost of sales category, such as Materials.

Then at the end of the year (or month, or quarter) you would look at how much stock you still have, value it appropriately and transfer the value of your stock to your balance sheet to show it as an asset.

If you had explained the stock purchase as a purchase of materials, the journal would be

Credit 103 Materials
Debit 610 Stock Adjustments
For the value of stock you have on hand.

On the first day of your new accounting year (or month, or quarter), you would transfer this back to Materials, by reversing the above journal

Debit 103 Materials
Credit 610 Stock Adjustments
For the value of stock you have on hand.

You will repeat this process each period end (month, quarter, year) and start.

This does mean that you will have to manage your stock outside of FreeAgent, but it still allows you to use FreeAgent for your accounting.

If anyone has any questions on this, please don't hesitate to email FreeAgent at Support@FreeAgent.com

Thanks
George
Photo of Paul McDermott

Paul McDermott

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This appears to be Free Agent officially washing their hands of a subset of the functionality. Stock valuation is not *that* complicated, and the rules are the same whether one has 1 item or 1,000. I notice that this 3 year old request has never attracted any action from Free Agent. It seems bizarre to suggest that people use another system to solve part of the accounting problem. Should I give up on Free Agent and move on?

• 433 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Hi Paul

I've perhaps loosely called the instructions I gave above as a workaround; it would be more accurate to say that it is simply the correct accounting treatment of stock.

However I would agree with you in the respect that stock management isn't part of our core functionality, so if you were looking for a provider that was able to manage and value your stock levels then perhaps you can look at alternative solutions.  You can still use FreeAgent for your accounts though.

On valuing stock; the actual computations aren't particularly complicated.  The complication arises by the fact that we allow users to add/edit historical transactions.

Many thanks
George
Photo of Harry Toker

Harry Toker

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
i gave up instantly, i agree with Paul ,
Photo of Paul McDermott

Paul McDermott

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well, as a current user of Free Agent it is galling to see the suggestion that I should be looking elsewhere. It has always felt that there was quite low commitment from Free Agent to resolve the UI issue at the top of this post. Now it is clear that it is probably not going to get resolved, and affected users should walk away. In this instance I feel that you have lost touch with your mission to make accounting simple for non-accountants.

• 433 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Hi Paul,

Apologies that you don't find my recommendation helpful.  I would love to be able to say that we're going to be building a new stock system that will manage your needs, but unfortunately this isn't the case for the time being.

Sorry again and I hope you do still find FreeAgent useful for your other accounting needs.

All the best,
George
Photo of Jamie Gardiner-Hill

Jamie Gardiner-Hill

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm equally appalled. We don't handle a lot of stock - but we do resell some equipment - and some of it is prudent purchase multiple units of so that we can achieve a better price. Its now becoming a serious pain that FA doesn't support this functionality.

I also feel somewhat let down -verging on misled. It seems the FA mantra has always been to be responsive to customer requests - and when we signed up, nearly 3 years ago, I had high hopes that if enough people got behind this issue that we would see some further development - and the same FA innovation on the stock front as they have elsewhere.

More fool me.
Its a great system, but if this response is seriously the "final" word on improved stock handling in FA, then its no longer the solution for us.

• 433 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Hi Jamie

We develop features based on consumer feedback, available resources and on our overall strategic goals.  I'm afraid at this stage, stock management isn't a popular feature.  I realise that it's important for you and I appreciate that, but this forum only represents a small sub section of our overall users. 

It's always a difficult decision when we develop new features. There's always some people who are happy and some who aren't; we can only try to be objective and assign resources to projects that will bring the greatest amount of benefit to our users.

Sorry again if you feel let down by my comments; I am trying to be transparent and open about our intensions.

Many thanks
George
Photo of Craig Mason

Craig Mason

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello George,

My use case is much more simple.

My monthly office bill contains a mixture of Rent, Postage, Electricity, Internet. I want to be able to split those costs into the required expense accounts.

• 433 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Hi Craig

Feel free to use the original workaround for splitting bills. My follow up advice was only for people using it in conjunction with Stock.

Many thanks
George
Photo of Lucy Ormiston

Lucy Ormiston

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Just looking through these posts and would like to clarify: Have Freeagent added a way of adding more than one item in a bill? For example, I have recently bought two items of computer equipment, which I would like to put through as two different assets. The reason I have to do it in one bill is to put it through as a capital purchase, as they were bought from one supplier at the same time. This seems like very simple functionality - has Freeagent added this yet? Please tell me i'm missing something obvious.
Photo of Iain Michael

Iain Michael

• 152 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Hi Lucy,

Many thanks for your message today.

You could group these purchases together on one bill, but in doing this the assets would not be kept separate of the capital asset register.

In order to keep them separate on the asset register, you would need to add separate bills for the purchase of each asset.

You can then explain the amount paid for more than one bill as shown here: http://www.freeagent.com/support/kb/b...

Apologies for the inconvenience caused by this. I will certainly pass on your comments to the development team in regards to this.

This is something that is on our Feature request list also, and I will add your +1 to this for you.

Kind regards
Iain
Photo of Geoff

Geoff

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Well here we go 5 Years on and no further forwards.
I too have a stock issue I need to account for?
Very simple, 1 Invoice from my supplier two Stock Product codes
25 of Widget #001 @ £250
40 of Widget #002 @ £400

I need to add 25 of Stock item #001 and 40 of Stock item #002 into Freeagent so I can sell them to my clients using the Stock feature in Freeagent.

How do I add the Invoice from my supplier easily in to Freeagent and manage my 2 stock items!
It was easy in Sage....
Seems impossible in Freeagent Im coming to the end of my 1st year as a Freeagent user Im seriously considering going back to Sage now as these long standing requests simply never seem to get progressed.

I'm not doing loads of stock anymore as clearly FA cant handle it, I just post most stuff as Materials and hope that my accountant who still does most things on a Typewriter and Quill pen can understand it!

Don't get me wrong, most of the other features have simplified my accounting and monthly procedures no end but this sort of thing is a real hindrance and should have been sorted 11 years ago when first requested.

HMRC cursed us with MTD and forced thousands of small businesses into complete mayhem having to change workflow.

A Bill with 2 types of Widgets to account for and stock manage FA cant do it without Journals and manual stock adjustments! come on it's 2020 not 1980

(Edited)
Photo of Ruth Broderick

Ruth Broderick, Product Manager

• 308 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for getting in touch. You'll be pleased to hear that adding multi-line / multi-category bills is on our roadmap for 2020 and we're hoping to start working on that in the summer. I'm afraid I can't give any firmer timescales than that as we've not yet started this work, so don't yet know how long it will take to implement. I'll update this thread with more information when we know more.

Warm regards,
Ruth
Senior Product Manager